Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Best Edition Of Desert Island Discs yet!



That's a bold claim, I know - and I also can't believe I am four posts into this project, and I haven't mentioned Radio 4 once. That's all set to change - and as you'll soon learn, Radio 4 is my church. I listen to almost every programme it throws at me.

Desert Island Discs is one of the best - and this week the castaway was Frank Cottrell Boyce - screenwriter, playwright, novelist and all round good egg. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a few times - and a more twinkly man it's hard to imagine. He's another of those people whose sheer output can make you feel humbled. 24 Hour Party People and Welcome to Sarajevo would be the pinnacle of most writers careers - but for him, they form only a small part.

Unlike most guests on D.I.D, he didn't have a tough upbringing or any sort of family problems - he loved school, going to church and his parents. He and his wife have seven children because they started having kids and liked it so carried on, and he obviously misses the older ones who've flown the family home. Kirsty Young - often a little restrained - cracked up a couple of times, and succumbed to his charms. I did groan when she asked that tired old chestnut "why do you still live in Liverpool?". But aside from that, the programme was a delightful listen from start to finish, and an inspirational kick up the arse to anyone who's writing anything be it a blog, novel or film script. I loved most of his music choices too - could have done without Big Country, but Noggin the Nog is always welcome - and David Bowie, well as Frank said, his music always seems to tell you that 'life can be a lot more' - what a great philosophy to live by.

You can read Frank's music choices here.

No comments:

Post a Comment