Monday, April 12, 2010

It had to be you!


I've come to terms with the fact that When Harry Met Sally is one of my favorite films. This has recently been confirmed to me as I've listened several times to an amazing Radio 4 documentary celebrating 20 years since the film's release. It shames me to note that I cried both times JUST LISTENING TO THE DOCUMENTARY not even watching the film itself! Of course, when I watch the film I laugh and cry in equal measure. I had a copy on VHS which (together with Gone With the Wind) got me through 9 months living in one of Britain's most depressing places. I am an unabashed romantic - and also someone who has often questioned whether men and women can be proper friends - and I mean friendships in which there has never been ANY attraction on either side. Now, I think it's possible - but it's a lot rarer then people would have you believe.

Another reason for my renewed love of When Harry Met Sally is it's New York setting. It's never classified as a 'New York' film, but living here now I feel it couldn't have been set anywhere else - especially at the tail end of the 1980s. Harry and Sally relocate from Chicago to the big apple at the start of the film. They are young, upwardly mobile and dead set on independence - a big theme of the era.

An interesting point made by one contributor to the documentary: even though WHMS is so popular, we have seen a degeneration in romantic comedy movies since its release. The film was aimed at both men and women - the wise cracking relationship between the couple appealing to both sexes. Sally's character in particular was complex and real - a world away from the dumb 'anywoman' characters in Judd Apatow pictures for example. Nowadays we are force-fed bland rom-coms starring Amy Adams - and they are exclusively aimed at women. I wish the documentary was still online for you to listen to - but alas no. You'll just have to make do with the film itself.

P.s geeky fan fact alert - When Harry Met Sally was the first time the phrase 'high maintenance' was used to describe someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment