Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The tipping point


Ok, I have been told by several readers to actually start venting some spleen on this blog about the worst things in life.. and so now's the time.

Tipping in New York city is painful for a Brit. This very evening I was chased (literally) down the street by a waitress who felt short changed by the cash we had left. No, there was nothing wrong with the food or the service, but the meal and the wine were severely over priced, so with a small tip added to the meal - which we left on the table, I had exceeded my daily budget and that was that. The 'when in Rome' guidelines state that 20% is the typical tip for a meal in NYC. I left less than that - but still left what I could afford. The service was adequate and the food Ok. That was that- or should have been. Now I am going to lie awake worrying about money AGAIN and that I am a bad person for leaving so little. Arrrgh.

As it is food in this city is so expensive, every meal out is a bank breaking experience. Every single check we ever get is a shock - far more than expected, more tax, more tip. Why don't they just add $1 per dish or something and then it wouldn't feel as if I am being robbed at guilt point every time I venture outside my own home for food. I accept that in Britain we give a tip for good service and in America the tip is the waiter's wage - but I didn't sign up to be their employer and I don't see why I - who am earning nothing at all - should suddenly be responsible for all these people.

I won't sleep tonight until I have resolved to go back to the bloody restaurant with $10 and an apology. And that is the worst thing about today by a long chalk.

1 comment:

  1. We had the same thing about a year ago in NYC when we went on a work night out - we had some very expensive bottles of wine, and when we came to tip, we did 20% of the food bill not drinks.. and the manager nearly shouted at us for being stingy!! couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete