Monday, June 28, 2010

Can't you keep your mouth shut?



Almost every time I go to the cinema or theatre, I have to ask a fellow member of the audience to shut up. What is it about these people that makes them unable to keep their mouths closed for any period of time? The worst incident happened at a screening of 'Good Night and Good Luck' in Liverpool a few years ago, when my neighbour repeated every single word of dialogue to his non-English speaking girlfriend. When I nudged him and whispered 'shhhh' - he actually responded 'She can't understand the film'.. begging the question - why come to the cinema? Get the Dvd and watch it at home - then you can talk all you want - and I won't hear you.

I think most people who talk at the theatre possibly don't go very often. They are so used to sitting on the sofa, conducting a one-way conversation with Simon Cowell or Jeremy Kyle or whoever's on the box, they don't understand that the big screen / stage isn't just an enlarged version of their Tv, and that there are other people present who don't need or want their moronic commentary. I know people who no longer go to the cinema because of this bad behaviour - what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog. I don't get them often so it was a nice surprise.
    I'm with you on the cinema experience. I went to see the Others when it was released, at Crawley Odeon and the guy in front was throwing his popcorn up in the air while pretending to be scared. Then the guy opposite threatened to beat him up, which shut him up for a while. Later the police came and marched out some seemingly innocent girls at the back. To top it off the security guard, obviously scared, switched the lights on at the most frightening part, near the end of the movie.

    ReplyDelete