Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A home video of gay men playing with giant Barbie dolls



I've just seen Sex and the City 2, and what a waste of $12.50.

I might have known it would be awful, but I couldn't help myself. After all, I am living in New York and whilst a lot younger than Carrie et al, they've been in my life for 12 years and I was curious to find out what happened next, and if she stayed with the decrepit and dull Big.

But this film is truly, truly terrible. It's had some horrendously misogynistic reviews, and it's no worse than the crap Judd Apatow churns out (and his stuff gets lauded - so work that one out), but the missed opportunity to celebrate female friendships and develop the rarely seen on screen lives of middle-aged women really let me down.

Aside from the casual racism, OTT gay stereotyping and vulgar materialism, my personal least favourite scene (and there was a pretty long list) shows Charlotte and Miranda self-pityingly blabbing into some cocktails about how hard motherhood is. Oh yeah - how hard motherhood is when you have no job and a live-in nanny. "How does anyone do it without help?" they burble. At this point I gave up caring. Please, please don't let there be another one. If you want to read more on this topic, check out Bidisha's excellent essay in the Guardian, and this review by Linda West in The Stranger. (p.s the latter was the source of this title post. Neat, eh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment